As technology continues to advance, email remains a primary means of communication for businesses, both internally and externally. Even with the rise of more collaborative technologies such as Microsoft Teams, Slack and other VC platforms, email usage continues to soar. Email is a convenient way to communication within your organisation and externally with customers or suppliers. However, this convenience comes with its share of risks. Cybercriminals constantly target email inboxes, seeking to exploit vulnerabilities and gain unauthorised access to sensitive information. Did you know that email remains the No. 1 threat vector, with cybercriminals targeting organisations through email constantly. Phishing and scams arrive to individuals by email 96% of the time.
Here are some essential tips to master the basics of email security and help to safeguard your organisation, because cybersecurity starts with YOU.
1. Strong Passwords: Ensure you are using strong, unique passwords for email accounts and change them regularly to reduce the risk of unauthorised access.
2. Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): Ensure you have Implemented MFA on your email account to add an extra layer of security, requiring additional verification beyond passwords for account access. If your organisation isn’t enforcing MFA on your account or other staff members, have a chat with your IT team or manager to have it turned on ASAP.
3. Phishing Awareness Training: If your organisation provides your with Phishing and Security Awareness Training, ensure you actively engage in it. Educate yourself about phishing techniques and how to identify suspicious emails, links, and attachments. Again, if your organisation isn’t doing this, maybe raise at your next team meeting.
4. Regular Updates and Patches: Keep email clients and security software up to date to patch vulnerabilities and protect against emerging threats. When your IT team says reboot your PC to apply the latest updates, make sure you listen!
5. Spam Filters: Your IT team should enable robust spam filters to minimise the chances of malicious emails reaching your inbox. If your curious about what is setup, ask your IT team or Managed Services Provider.
6. Limit Access: Restrict access to critical email accounts and sensitive information to authorised personnel only. If you think you don’t need access to a particular mailbox, do the right thing and notify your manager or clarify if you really do need that access.
7. Email Backups: Regularly back up essential emails to prevent data loss in case of cyber incidents. Hopefully your IT team has implemented an ongoing backup strategy, if not, you know what to do!
Take Action Now!
Don’t wait for a cyber attack to strike! Mastering the basics of email security is crucial to protect organisations from potential threats, and protection of email accounts is the responsibility of everyone in the business.
A Corp’s highly Trained Experts can assist you in implementing robust email security measures tailored to your business needs.
Safeguard your inbox and enhance your organisation’s cybersecurity today!
For expert guidance on bolstering your email security, contact us today. Our team is here to provide you with Quality IT Solutions and Exceptional Customer Service, ensuring your business stays safe in the digital age.
Stay secure, stay protected with A Corp!
Note: This blog post provides a concise overview of essential email security tips for businesses. For comprehensive cybersecurity solutions, we recommend engaging our services for a personalised approach.